Thursday, 21 July 2011

Fear Factor!!

Today I want to talk about something I call 'the fear factor' (and I don't mean the TV show that was around for a while). We are constantly bombarded with nasty news articles and horrid images of 'what could be if you keep doing this,' all designed to keep us firmly wedged in the grip of fear. Just yesterday while I was out and about the radio was blaring at me, "This year has seen the worst outbreak of the flu virus yet, we urge people to vaccinate or..............." (fill in the blank for yourself). And it was plastered all over the evening news on the tele. Now excuse me, but wasn't last year's outbreak the worst yet?? Isn't every years these days? My husband's favourite, "Ahh theres going to be an invasion you know, we are going to be over-run by milipedes, they will be everywhere, you mark my words!!" Yes yes my darling I say, FEAR FACTOR I say. I have removed less than a handful this winter from inside, I dunno, but I'm thinking this does not conjure up images of an invasion for me! Unless they've got some super-secret mutiplication weapon stuffed up their creepy crawly little legs, I think I'm pretty safe.


 "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
 Frank Herbert

Fear is crippling, it prevents us from achieving our full potential. I view fear as a disease or virus itself, which has penetrated our immune system and has had a field day with our neurological functioning. It is of paramount importance that this cycle of fear be broken for it perpetuates all things dark and angry within the human psyche. It is this festering cloud of ugliness coupled with our lack of self respect and self love that has the ability to stop us in our tracks and destroy our dreams before we even get started. You must work at conquering your fear, don't subscribe to the drama of it all.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
   

Franklin D Roosevelt

"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."
   

Paulo Coelho (The Alchemist) 


The universe is pretty tricky too you know, it has a way of bringing your fears right to your front doorstep so you can work through them. The universe wants us to succeed and it tries to help us in every way possible (even if it doesn't feel like it at the time). I remember when I was living on small acreage in the middle of farming land quite a few years back, one of my biggest fears was snakes. My precious Caesar (big black and white cat) would dump these slithering delights almost at my feet. What choice did I have , I had a baby crawling and three kitties with deadly brown snakes appearing from just about everywhere??? Quickest lesson in how to conquer my fears EVER!! The day I saw my little black cat wearing a four foot brown snake wrapped around her like a necklace I suddenly evolved into super woman, grabbed my short handled shovel and nabbed that thing quicker than you could blink!! Yep, nothing to fear here.

Fear Factor....it's everywhere!! Do not subscribe................


"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." 
 
  Eleanor Roosevelt



2 comments:

  1. Margot Losionek21 July 2011 at 20:28

    This is an excellent, thought provoking post. As I read it through, many things we are exhorted to be afraid of came to mind - drought, swine flu, bird flu, the rising cost of living, tsunamis, the list goes on and on.No wonder our children are tense and fearful of things over which they have no control. Let us feed our children instead on self confidence and joie de vivre, and perhaps the gift we give them will be the freedom to reach that full potential, unafraid of the possibility of failure or disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margot, fantastic response, you have summed it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...