Friday, 6 January 2012

2012 Chinese Year of the Dragon

Click the above link to buy this stunning dragon print from the artist's website.

2012, year of magick, mystery and suspense, upheaval and challenges. In the Chinese horoscope, 2012 is also the Year of the Dragon. This year is considered the year of good luck, as part of the Chinese Dragon meaning is good fortune in the areas of health, wealth and living a long, prosperous life. It is believed that anyone who holds an emblem of this divine mythical animal will be protected and safe. Chinese dragons traditionally symbolize potent and auspicious powers, particularly control over water, rainfall, hurricane, and floods. The dragon is a symbol of great power and strength.

Dragon mythology has been with us for almost as long as we can remember, across almost all cultures. A majestic beast which strikes both fear and a mystical longing within the hearts of it's followers. And followers there are, a gazillion dragon believers are scattered across this earth, waiting for the day when the dragons will rise again (symbolically of course, I'm not totally freaking out here, well .... maybe just a little).

I have always been a dragon lover. I have collected books, posters and all manner of dragon paraphernalia since childhood, still have all my Anne McCaffrey Dragon Rider books sitting on my shelves. There is just something unexplainably mysterious and magickal about this particular beast, it's like they are a reminder of a land we have forgotten. But one that is soon to unfold before us I feel. So it comes as no surprize to me, that such an auspicious year as 2012, would be the Year of the Dragon. A year of creativity and excitement is about to burst upon us, and we are in for one hell of a ride I'm sure. Bring on the dragons!!


2 comments:

  1. I realize this is off topic to your post (which is lovely, btw), but I had to write to give you a huge THANK YOU for posting the name and link to Peter Pracownik's wonderful dragon art. I'd been searching for the better part of an hour, trying to track down the original artist of "White Dragon". Your link from the "Earth Dragon" made it possible. I was getting very tired of incorrect artist names (someone had this credited to a Gary Downs person, for which there isn't any fantasy art out there), cropped images taking out his name, and poor copies of copies with text all over them. I'm so glad that you took the time to actually credit Mr. Pracownik. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my absolute pleasure. I love his work and was familiar with his dragons, (the 'White Dragon' is a favourite of mine) so including the link to his own website was the least I could do for using his beautiful image to enhance my blog. Happy to have helped you find what you were looking for. And thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...